Do you know how healthy your home is? A clean and safe environment is critically important for health and quality of life. We will work with you to explain your test results and make recommendations for mitigation where necessary. We can also conduct specialty testing upon request. Tests can be ordered alone or in addition to a home inspection or other service.


Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. It is produced in the ground through the normal decay of uranium and radium. High radon levels have been found in every state. Radon levels vary from home to home, you can't gauge the radon level in your home by the results in a neighbor's home.

Radon itself is an inert gas & poses no danger, but radon decays to polonium & lead particles. These and later progeny are chemically very active as well as radioactive. When you breathe, they can lodge in your lungs, bronchi, and trachea. The radiation disrupts and mutates cells and can, eventually, result in lung cancer.

Radon is estimated to be the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Testing for radon in your home can include short term (2-7 days) tests with charcoal accumulors, and long term (3-12 months) that do the testing by alpha track or electret. The EPA recommends a short term charcoal test for first time testing. If tests show dangerous levels of radon in your home, there are several remedies for reducing radon concentrations. The most widely used method is the "sub-slab depressurization" system. This involves the installation of pipes and fans. This system prevents radon gas from entering the home from below the concrete floor and the foundation. Radon reduction contractors may also use other methods depending upon the design of the home.

Water Quality

What is in that water that you just drank? Is it just hydrogen and oxygen atoms? Is it safe for drinking? Your water might originate from a clean source, but in some cases that water has to travel through many miles of pipes before reaching your home. Some of these pipes may be very old, corroded and leaky. Ground water can enter these pipes adding any number of contaminants. Water quality can be thought of as a measure of the suitability of water for a particular use based on selected physical, chemical, and biological characteristics. We will test your water for microbiologics such as coliform, fecal/e coli, and inorganics, such as lead, copper, calcium, iron, chlorine, hardness, nitrate, total dissolved solids, arsenic and ammonia. A more comprehensive test is available to detect 60 volatile organic compounds including radon, benzenes, toluene, styrene, and vinyl chloride. We can also include a test for the 17 most commonly used pesticides. This can be useful for homes located near agricultural areas or where pesticide use is suspected.

Wood Destroying Insects

Wood destroying insects are relatively common pests which can cause structural damage to houses if left uncontrolled. Such insects infest more than 600,000 homes each and every year, causing more damage than fires, storms or earthquakes combined. There are many species of wood destroying insects, but for the sake of brevity, we'll give information about the Eastern Subterranean Termite , which is the most common termite in North America. Termites feed exclusively on wood and wood products containing cellulose. Their hard, saw-toothed jaws work like shears and are able to bite off extremely small fragments of wood, a piece at a time. Termites often infest buildings and damage lumber, wood panels, flooring, wallpaper, paper products and fabric made of plant fibers. The most serious damage is the loss of structural strength. Termites are surprisingly mobile and can gain access to wood in virtually any part of a building. However, most colonies build nests underground initially, so original infestations usually are found around the foundation and lower floors. Termites can slip through tiny cracks in cement foundations. Virtually any type of construction or foundation is susceptible to attack. 60,000 workers can eat 1/5 ounce or 5 grams of wood each day. At this rate, such a colony could completely consume 2 1/3 linear feet of a 2″ by 4″ pine board in one year. There could, however, be several colonies infesting a single building. Insect remediation is best handled by a professional pest control operator. The standard practice for termite control involves the injection of an insecticide into the ground around the outside foundation and around the interior perimeter footing of the building. This method forms a chemical barrier which prevents the termites from moving into the building from their nesting site. When done correctly the technique is very safe and effective. There are other methods now available which your pest control operator can discuss with you.


Many people believe that the absence of mold, discoloration or insect infestation is an indicator of dry walls. This is not true in the majority of cases. The wood and insulation in the wall cavity is a huge water absorbing sponge. It takes a lot of water over a period of time to saturate and fill the wall sponge to be visually detectable. In fact, moisture problems are only accurately detected by inspecting a space that is not visible: inside the wall cavity. While that presents a challenge to homeowners, we can quickly and easily locate and identify moisture problems in your home. Many people think only older homes have the potential for moisture problems. However, homes built after the mid 80's are more likely to have moisture problems due to energy building code changes. Generally, the new codes were designed to seal a home more tightly to make it more energy efficient, which it did. In some cases, these codes lead to scenarios where water can get into the wall, but it can not get out because the house is sealed so tightly. This can cause an unhealthy home environment and costly damage that has to be repaired.


Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back. Additionally, not all mold is visible. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).

Home / About / Testing / Services / Contact

Copyright 2017 Dogwood Home Inspection Services